Thursday 29 June 2017

Crescent Bay

Crescent Bay
Yesterday guiding work took me to the Tasman Peninsula where I get to enjoy a lunch break lasting over 2 hours. Perfect for a run. Starting at Safety Cove I  followed single track from the end of the beach, through the Tasman National Park around Briggs Point, past Dog Bark, over Stand Up Point to the blowholes north of Crescent Bay.  The view from Standup Point over the mouth of Port Arthur towards Arthurs Peak, Cape Pillar and Tasman Island is worth a standing ovation.*
Safety Cove Blowhole (east)
The blowholes were performing a treat which is not very conducive to a fast run. Like surfers waiting for the perfect wave, I hovered over each blowhole waiting for the big rush that would make for the best photo. Perhaps the next one will be best... or the next one...
Safety Cove Blowhole (west)

Eventually I dragged myself away from the entertainment and continued my run over the stunningly beautiful Crescent Bay Beach beneath towering sand dunes and onto the sandy track leading around Maingon Bay. My guest pickup deadline did not permit a run up Mount Brown - maybe next time.
Hooded plovers on Crescent Bay Beach - It's important to run/walk along the wet sand.  These little fellas nest in shallow hollows - so easily disturbed by a single footprint.

At Maingon Blowhole there were encouraging noises below the swell was not quite enough to make the Maingon Blowhole perform like it's smaller cousins at Crescent Bay. After a quick visit to Remarkable Cave a short run down the road and along the beach competed the circuit.

*This is not how Standup Point gets its name.  In keeping with the area it's a convict story.  I will tell the story next time I do this run.

1 comment:

  1. Haha. I know what you mean - waiting for that perfect light, the perfect wave etc to get that perfect shot, can definitely add to the running time:)

    ReplyDelete