Saturday 29 July 2017

Back Yard Rain & Snow

Up and down tracks of my Pearl Izumis
(...and the 4WD tracks of a techo working on the TV towers)
A couple of runs to report in the past week.  Last Sunday some rain had switched on the New Town Rivulet at the Clapper Bridge.  This was a pleasant contrast from last week when we found the stream unseasonably dry. Puddles, light rainfall, wet forest smells and soft ground underfoot were all welcome on a lively loop.  Not our quickest time but not slowest either.


Clapper Bridge with water this week
On Wednesday fresh snow bedecked kunanyi / Mount Wellington making a spectacular sight from our back yard.  Late morning I headed out on the usual back yard loop.  After crossing the Clapper I turned right and headed uphill.  Light sleet greeted me just after the sandstone outcrops on Old Hobartians and a full-on snow flurry greeted me at The Chalet marking 1,000 metres above sea level.


Snow falling at the 1,000 metre level
From there on settled snow ensured I would have the road legs either side of the Panorama Track to myself.  A couple of winters ago a huge dump of snow famously hit Hobart.  On that occasion snow drifts were over 3 metres deep when Kylie and I followed the deep swathe freshly cut by the snow plough.  Back then there was no way Panorama could be an option.  In contrast this week's run was barely ankle deep at the most and Panorama was eminently 'followable.'


Panorama Track
At the summit I paid the obligatory visit to the trig point and, in the complete absence of other people, I also jogged out to each of the lookout points.  With a keen breeze blowing over the top and the mercury hovering around -2°C it was not time to linger so I scooted back down and completed the remainder of the back yard loop followed with the usual warm-down stroll up the hill to home.


Summit view to the north-east
Summit view to the south-east

Some vital statistics for the backyard loop with summit side trip:
Duration 3:24:38
Distance 22.4km
Avg pace 9:09 min/km
Ascent 1,096m
Descent 1,122m


Summit selfie

No comments:

Post a Comment